Traditional ISPs and ASSPs don't have the processing power required to accept the large bandwidth of data from 1080p and 720p WDR CMOS sensors (for instance, a full HD raster is 2200x1125 pixels x 16+ bits per pixel x 60fps, resulting in >2Gbps bandwidth).
Altera's HD surveillance IP camera reference design functions include:
- Hot pixel removal and WDR sensor demosaic functions
- A complete Image Signal Processor (ISP): including color pipeline, auto white balance and auto exposure (including exposure mixing for WDR)
- Apical's spatial dynamic range-compression (local tone mapping) algorithm, known as "iridix"
- Apical's 2D noise-reduction algorithm, known as "sinter"
- Eyelytics' H.264 video encoder, capable of 720p/30fps encoding or 1080p/15fps encoding in main profile
- Altera's Triple-Speed Ethernet MAC IP and Nios® II embedded processor cores
Altera also presents a nice video on its new WDR platform: