Friday, July 01, 2016

Mobileye, BMW, and Intel Join Forces on Driverless Car

Reuters, EETimes: BMW, Intel, and Mobileye announce an alliance to develop autonomous driving technology that could put Level 5 autonomous driving cars on the road by around 2021. The new autonomous driving platform is said to be open for others to join. The platform is supposed to be a part of the international standard that defines sensor specs in the system, among many other things.

Mobileye says it will put at least 100 employees working on this project, out of its current headcount of 700. Intel says it will put several hundreds people and several hundred million dollars on this project. Intel CEO Brian Krzanich said that he's confident that they can achieve their autonomous driving target in 5 years.


Update: Mobileye publishes a promotional video emphasizing the importance of this 3-way agreement:

6 comments:

  1. First death by autonomous car reported May 7 in Florida (today in the NY Times). Who wants to be the next guinea pig?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. as you said very exactly concerning pixel size reduction "market driving force is tremendous..." Do you think that there is a tremendous market driving force on such system ?

      -yang ni

      Delete
    2. EETimes comments on Tesla crash and BMW-Intel-Mobileye press conference:

      http://www.eetimes.com/author.asp?section_id=36&doc_id=1330034

      Delete
  2. Who is the driver in that autonomous car? So called AI machine without heart, but with sharp eyes like a hawk, fast nerves like a cheetah, and muscles and power like a gorilla and brains and experiences of , well, a well-trained gorilla again at best? Should I negotiate with it on the road? Oh, no!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried three times (and failed) today to make Siri understand a simple English search. This was a real simple search for a pizza parlor I know while I was driving, so was trying to do it hands free over Bluetooth in my BMW, which by the way only handshakes about half the times I try (about twice a week I end up having to grab my phone and talk directly since my BMW Bluetooth won't connect).

    I ended up having to stop my car and do the pizza parlor search using text.

    So when I hear that people are afraid of AI and that cars will drive themselves in 5 years I laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There could be too much noise in the car that Siri can not hear you clearly.

      Delete

All comments are moderated to avoid spam and personal attacks.