- Camera phones comprised nearly 81% of area-array image sensor shipments in 2008, a share that is expected to shrink only slightly through 2013.
- embedded PC cameras will surpass digital still cameras to become the second-largest application for image sensors by 2011
- CMOS sensors dominated image sensor shipments in 2008, with more than an 87% share.
- By 2013, CCD is expected to comprise less than 4% of the total area image sensor market.
- CMOS will make up 62% of security camera image sensors by 2013.
- While CMOS is gaining in digital still cameras, it will not surpass CCDs until 2013.
Worldwide unit shipments of image sensors in camera phones continue to rise, mostly as a result of the continuing penetration of dual-camera phones in Asian markets. These phones utilize both a traditional point-and-shoot camera, as well as a second, inward-facing camera for two-way video communication or videoconferencing.
In-Stat also gives the market growth projection till 2013: