The key statements in the report:
- The global image sensors market is estimated to grow at a modest CAGR of 3.84% from 2013 till 2018 and is expected to cross $10.75 billion by the end of these five years.
- Currently, camera mobile phones are the major contributors to this market. In 2012, approximately, 80% of the image sensors were shipped for this application
- Emerging applications such as medical imaging, POV cameras, UAV cameras, digital radiology, and factory automation factors are driving the market with their high growth rate. However, they are low volume applications and would require longer duration to impact the market heavily
- CMOS technology commands a major market share against CCD and contact image sensor types. In 2012, CMOS approximately had 85% of the share
- Apart from the visible spectrum domain, manufacturers are also focusing on the infrared and X-ray image sensors. By the year 2018, approximately 800,000 units of infrared sensors and 300,000 units of X-ray sensors are forecasted to be shipped
- Currently, North America holds the largest share, but APAC is expected to surpass in 2013 with its strong consumer electronics market
|Image sensor sales by region|